The Smarties system provides an easy way to add mobile interactive support to collaborative applications for wall displays.
It consists of (i) a mobile interface that runs on mobile devices for input, (ii) a communication protocol between the mobiles and the wall application, and (iii) libraries (in C++, java, C# for Unity 3D) that implement the protocol and handle synchronization, locking and input conflicts. The library presents the input as an event loop with callback functions and handles all communication between mobiles and wall application. Developpers can customize the mobile interface from the wall application without modifying the mobile interface code.
On each mobile we find a set of cursor controllers associated with keyboards, widgets and clipboards. These controllers (pucks) can be shared by multiple collaborating users. They can control simple cursors on the wall application, or specific content (objects or groups of them). The developper can decide the types of widgets associated to pucks from the wall application side.
News / history
- 2020-01-23: Released a C# library (for Unity 3D).
- 2020-01-23: Released Smarties client, javaSmarties and libSmarties 1.4.0. Switch to UDP, this version is not fully compatible with older versions.
- 2017-10-20: Released Smarties client, javaSmarties and libSmarties 1.3.1.
- 2015-05-11: Released Smarties client, javaSmarties and libSmarties 1.3.0. Version 1.3 is not compatible with version 1.2
- 2014-12-03: Released the Smarties client "V2" (thanks to Bruno Fruchard). Also released javaSmarties 1.2.0 and libSmarties 1.2.0.
- 2014-04-30: We will present our Smarties Paper at CHI 2014 at 14:00 room 714AB..
- 2014-04-29: This web site is up and running!.
Authors & Contact
Smarties was created by Olivier Chapuis, Anastasia Bezerianos and Stelios Frantzeskakis. Bruno Fruchard worked with the V2 Smarties client.
Olivier Chapuis and Anastasia Bezerianos are members of the HCC/ILDA research team (LRI - Univ. Paris-Sud & CNRS, Inria).
Stelios Frantzeskakis contributed to the birth of the system during his 6 months Inria internship in 2012.
If you use Smarties for your research please cite the following paper.
Olivier Chapuis, Anastasia Bezerianos & Stelios Frantzeskakis. Smarties: An Input System for Wall Display Development. In CHI '14: Proceedings of the 32nd international conference on Human factors in computing systems, 2763-2772, ACM, April 2014.